Essay Tips From a Former Director of Admission
We thought it would be valuable to get advice from an actual admissions officer. Here is a list of tips from a former Director of Admissions for a medium sized private Catholic university in the northeast.
- Write with passion
- The expectation is that this is your best work; thus rewrite
- 1st paragraph needs a hook to grab readers attention and create the desire to read on
- Have someone, not the author, read essay aloud to writer
- Write using all 5 senses if applicable
- Don't write like you talk i.e. slang or IM
- Use transitions at the end of paragraphs and vivid descriptions
- Sell yourself to college; You want the reader to say, "we want this student here"